Tuesday, January 11, 2011

New recipes....

I feel like 2011 has the potential of being a really great year for the husband and I.  And I'm not entirely sure *why* I feel that way, I just do.  January is typically my least favorite month of the year (mostly because of how dark it is all.day.long and the cold/unpredictable weather), but I think that this year I have really been trying to take a more optimistic view of the year ahead.

On this same idea, I have been thinking about cooking more.  Planning dinners ahead for the week, making a grocery store run on Sundays, and then cooking dinner at home at least twice a week (and eating leftovers on other nights).  This has been working for the past few weeks, so now I'm getting kind of excited about it!  (It also doesn't hurt that ideally we will save some $$$ by not eating out as much)

One of my favorite healthy recipe blogs is Skinny Taste.  Seriously.  If you have never checked out this blog, get over there right now.  Trust me, you won't be disappointed :)

I made the Broccoli Cheese and Potato Soup for dinner on Sunday night and, man oh man, it was AMAZING.  We do not have an immersion blender (actually, the only blender/chopper thing we have is one of those as-seen-on-TV "Magic Bullet" blenders - which we love :) ), so the soup was chunky.  But, it was every bit as tasty (I'm sure) as the blended version.  Paired with a slice of sourdough bread straight from the bakery at the store....YUM-o. 

It feels so good to be trying new things, actually using our kitchen for what it was intended (cooking!) and eating healthy as well!

2 comments:

  1. One of the best things I purchased in 2010- A lime green cuisinart plug-in stick blender from sur la table. It's not expensive, and I'm finding in this cold month as I've committed to stuff from scratch so I know the points and can maximize serving size to be really satisfied, the $35 was well worth it, wherever you buy it. It comes with a a measuring cup you can blend in, so you can make your own salad dressings, etc. too. (My favorite is 1 part satsuma wedges (say 3 satsumas), 1 parts cilantro (yep, a lot), rice vinegar, a bit of cumin, black pepper and hot sauce to taste. Blend that, then add up to 1 1/2 tsp oil if you want to while the stick blender is going. Cleanup is awesome, the blade part and the cup can do in the dishwasher.

    One of the best things I got rid of in 2010- a cuisinart rechargeable stick blender. Heavy and bigger, it did not encourage me to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I am always looking for new recipes.

    ReplyDelete